APTN will provide a live video stream of concerts, artists’ interviews, backstage exclusives and more when it stages the Aboriginal Day Live festivities.
Mobile and online access to the program complements the specialty channel’s TV coverage, and exclusive radio coverage from a number of broadcast partners.
Canada marks National Aboriginal Day on Saturday, June 23, and the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN) will carry its sixth annual Aboriginal Day Live concert programming.
APTN, APTN HD and select radio stations across Canada will air an exclusive three-and-a-half hour broadcast of Aboriginal Day Live activities, from both The Forks in Winnipeg and the First Nations University of Canada in Regina.
Media coverage of the event includes a digital “Webstage Pass”, in which APTN’s Chantelle Ducharme hosts behind-the-scenes interviews with artists, live streaming of the concerts, interviews with artists, trivia questions, a live Twitter chat and more!
Mobile, laptop and PN users can visit www.aboriginaldaylive.com/webstagepass on June 23 for more information.
Radio stations that have partnered with APTN to air the concerts include:
- Alberta: CFWE (various call numbers) will broadcast across the province while Hawk Radio 89.1 FM will broadcast to the Samson Cree and Hobbema communities
- Manitoba: NCI 105.5 FM or in Winnipeg only, tune into Streetz FM 104.7
- Northern British Columbia, across Yukon, and the McKenzie Delta: CHON 98.1 FM
- Ontario: Wawatay Radio Network, which serves much of Northwestern Ontario including the Nishnawbe Aski Nation and Treaty 3 area
- Saskatchewan: Missinipi Broadcasting Corporation’s (MBC—various call numbers) will broadcast live across the province
- Quebec: Naskapi Northern Wind Radio Station, CJCK Radio 89.9 FM, serving the Kawawachikamach First Nation
In its sixth year, these free concerts will feature some of the biggest names in Aboriginal music. The Regina line up includes headliner Buffy Sainte-Marie; The Local Onlyz; Plex; Riva; Stevie Salas and Bernard Fowler; and Samian. The Winnipeg line up includes headliners Kashtin for an exclusive, one-night reunion; Christa Couture; Beatrice Deer; Indian City; Inez; Adam James; and Joey Stylez joined by Lil Pappie.
Winnipeg’s hosts include Don Kelly and Candy Palmater while Regina’s event is being hosted by Crystle Lightning and Jennifer Podemski.